With this summer’s (extreme) heat behind us, and with nothing but clear skies and crisp fall months ahead, we ask you – what better time is there to sell your home? You’ve returned from your vacation, have sent the kids back off to school, and are patiently awaiting the carols of the holiday season. For now, your plate is (somewhat) clean. So, why not swap those hot summer months for a spot in this autumn’s red-hot real estate market? Here are a few helpful hints you can use to attract the fall homebuyer:
- Create that irresistible fall curb appeal: autumn is beautiful – arguably one of the most colourful times of year. From chrysanthemums to marigolds, and pumpkins to squash, there is no limit when it comes to accenting your yard and your home for the fall homebuyer. Place flowers in pots along your walkway or on your front steps, emphasize the warmth of your fireplace with colourful mantel pieces or set your tables with season-appropriate runners and centerpieces. For DIY inspirations, click here.
- Rinse away that summer heat: the summer months can bring a heavy amount of wind and rain, so be sure to start your fall clean-up with a good old-fashioned window cleaning. Further to that, you’ll want trim your hedges and any branches that might be blocking additional sunlight from entering into your home. Remember, the cleaner you make your outdoors, the brighter and more appealing your indoors will be!
- Be mindful of maintenance: as the warmth of summer fades, it’s important to have your HVAC system inspected and cleaned before the cooler months arrive. A common problem that tends to arise from home inspections are in relation to home furnaces; so, before selling your home, be sure to do a full maintenance cleaning indoors and out – rake your leaves, remove loose sticks, weed your flower beds, aerate the lawn and so on.
- Introduce the crisp smell of fall: show of hands – who associates smells with the pleasantries of our changing seasons? The fresh scent of brisk air and Christmas pine, the blooming flowers of spring, the BBQ’s of summer? How about the smells of wood-burning fireplaces and autumn comfort foods? Give potential homebuyers a sense of home and familiarity by setting out freshly baked pumpkin muffins, or cookies; you can also simmer hot apple cider on the stove before guests arrive to give them a reason not to forget your home. And hey, if you have a gas fireplace, have it lit when people walk through to create a warm ambiance.
- Don’t shy away from the light: of course, with all the glories of fall, comes shorter days. For daytime showings, pull up blinds, open shutters and push back curtains; for evening showings, lighting is key. And if you have a room with little-to-no-lighting, you needn’t worry! You can brighten things up with hidden floor spotlights by placing them behind furniture.
The autumn months can be the perfect time for you and your family to start a new chapter by selling your home. With a market that’s just as hot as those warm summer months, you can appeal to the potential homebuyer by following the right steps!
This article was first published on https://www.teamrealty.ca.